Friday, June 22, 2012

The Plight of the Giant Basketball Court Decal

This will be a pretty short post, but I just wanted to mention it because I think it's hilarious. I remember watching the WCC tourney back in February and thinking how ridiculous it was that everyone kept slipping and falling on the giant WCC decal on the court, especially during the BYU/Gonzaga game (I've searched and searched for a YouTube video displaying the debacle, but to no avail. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it if you didn't see it). It almost turned into a battle to see whichever team could fall down the least-- because they would likely win the game.

No matter how many times they wiped the decal down with a towel, shockingly, it didn't change the chemical composition of the sticker and thus it was still slippery. Well, now they've finally come to a solution. No more giant stickers on the court. Any logos or ads on the court have to be made of the same stuff the rest of the court is made out of.

I just can't believe that it took them this long to realize that a giant sticker in the middle of a basketball court might be dangerous. They're lucky (and I'm grateful) Matt Carlino didn't break his neck. Who's in charge here?


1 comment:

  1. Haha! I remember that both my dad and I kept getting angry and yelling about how somebody was going to get hurt.

    Good move by the NCAA to make some rule changes.

    ReplyDelete