Friday, September 19, 2014

BYU Football is 3-0 for the First Time in Independence!

It's true. BYU football is off to a 3-0 start for the first time since 2008. Let's go through a quick run-down . . .

From SBNation.com
BYU 35, UConn 10

I wasn't super confident in this game despite everyone saying how terrible UConn is . . . so I was pleasantly surprised with the dominant win. My main takeaways from this game were that the O-line is MILES better than last year, thank heavens!, and Taysom really might have a shot at being a Heisman finalist. He's not going to win the Heisman this year . . . but if he could even become a finalist, that would be huge for him and the Cougar Football program. But if that does happen, I'll definitely have to write him a letter because he is NOT allowed to leave early for the NFL!!

The "Leap of Faith". From BYUCougars.com.
BYU 41, Texas 7

I'm still shocked that we creamed Texas again . . . That "Leap of Faith" Taysom took is one of the best football moments I've ever witnessed. I watched this game at the BYU Broadcasting building on the big screen, and it was amazing. By the way, quick plug for that experience-- I can't figure out why they've never completely filled up the room. You get to watch the game on an almost movie-theater-size screen and you get free pizza and cookies at halftime. Seriously, people, do this. You're welcome, Jarom Jordan.

Yes, Texas was severely wounded, having lost their starting QB and Center and a bunch of other offensive players to injuries and suspensions. But this was dang impressive. They had "excuses" for a poor offensive performance, but they have no excuse for giving up 41 points on defense. BYU is just that good.

And just in case you haven't seen it, this video is awesome.

BYU 33, Houston 25

I attended this game and didn't have the greatest vantage point (from the top right corner of the "W" on "We"!), but it was still a lot of fun, despite the fact that someone behind me spilled soda all over my sweatshirt, so I was stuck shivering in my t-shirt & shorts after the sun went down . . . Gotta love football games.

It's on my to-do list to re-watch parts of this game, especially to figure out what the heck happened at the end of the 1st half, but I thought it was a solid example of BYU's ability to overcome adversity. A few really bad calls from the refs, a hail mary . . . Yes, it wasn't the smashing victory most people were expecting (except for ME! I was only 1 point off in my prediction!), but I think this was a needed situation to humble the Cougars a little bit without getting a loss. I think it will make them stronger & more resilient for the rest of the season. And we're still 3-0!

I'm looking forward to another season a la 2008 (minus TCU and Utah, please). I don't think we'll go undefeated . . . but I definitely think we can and will have a special season. Go Cougs! #BeatVirginia!

P.S. Utah also plays Michigan tomorrow at the exact same time as the BYU / Virginia game. Can't wait to see that one . . . #GOBLUE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment