First, some honorable mentions that didn't quite make the cut but I still want to talk about:
UNLV (Both in Provo and in Las Vegas): "What you talkin' bout, Willis?" Our first sweep of the Rebels in way too many years-- "Woah, how far out was that?" "It was at the edge of the V in UNLV!" I also got this sweet shot of Jackson dunking during the home game.
Colorado State (in Ft. Collins): Jimmer is about to pull up from long range and one commentator says, "No way!" It's nothing but net. Then comes laughter, followed by a sullen "I'm going home."
TCU (in Provo): Jackson Emery night. Glad he got his own moment in the spotlight.
Now on to the top 10:
10. UTEP: This game was electric. BYU was struggling for a little while at the beginning, but then someone plowed right through Jimmer with no foul called, and that set him off on a scoring streak, culminating in his second (and last) successful dunk of the season and the crowd chanting, "Just like football! Just like football!" in honor of the recent New Mexico Bowl.
8. Wyoming (in Provo): Senior night was great. We came back after a demoralizing defeat from New Mexico and got our first, much-needed victory without Brandon Davies. It was also really fun to be a part of the student section flash mob and watch Jimmer, Jackson, and Logan receive well-deserved standing ovations.
7. Utah State: Those Aggies really get on my nerves. They don't seem to notice that BYU doesn't care about them or think of them as a major rival... basically they just hate the Cougars for no reason. There were a lot of USU fans there, and watching their jaws drop as their team got Jimmered was priceless.
6. Arizona: I had great seats for this game at Energy Solutions Arena, and it was awesome. Derrick Williams got cocky as usual and saluted the student section after a slam dunk, but then was cowered into submission by the Jimmer. Not quite the 49-point fiesta from the year before, but a rather "respectable" 33. Take that, future number two NBA draft pick!
5. Vermont (in Glens Falls): Jimmer's home town game. It was awesome to see him in his element and be able to interact with all the people who watched him grow up. The really long standing ovation when he was introduced was definitely something special.
3. SDSU (in San Diego): Almost nobody thought they could do it twice. But yes, despite the fake missionaries, Whitney-taunting on Facebook, celebrity cardboard heads bobbing up and down, and profanity constantly being shouted from the stands, SDSU got Jimmered yet again, on their home turf. It led to a #3 national ranking for the Cougs.
2. New Mexico (in Las Vegas): Jimmer's 52-point thrashing of New Mexico in the MWC tourney was AMAZING. It was totally worth the money and the long drive down there just for that 2-hour block of time. It was awesome to hear everyone (mostly drunken men, somewhat ironically) shouting "Yeah, I love Jimmer!" at my roommate Traci and I as we walked down the Vegas strip in our BYU t-shirts. The night before this game, we ran into the Jimmer at the MGM Grand food court. We got to chat with him for a minute and got a picture taken. I like to think that meeting his biggest fan again (me, of course) was just the motivation he needed to whoop those pesky Lobos.
1. SDSU (in Provo): I have never been in an atmosphere quite like that before, nor will I ever again. I thought the Marriott Center was going to explode. We couldn't even hear the whistle. My friends and I went 5 hours early to wait in line in the freezing cold, and still ended up about 10 rows from the top of the stands. But it was incredible. This is the moment when Jimmermania truly began. I felt bad for the guy as he almost got trampled by the students rushing the court. But it was a great moment-- one I will never forget.
Make fun of me all you want, but last basketball season was magical. I re-watch the majority of these games far too often... and I'm always up for someone to join me if you're interested. :)
|The Marriott Center during the SDSU Game on January 26, 2011. Best. Game. Ever.|